SOLOMON ISLANDS GOVERNMENT
MINISTRY OF EDUCATION AND HUMAN RESOURCES DEVELOPMENT
CONSULTANT SERVICES - EDUCATION POLICY REVIEW
- Provision of Technical Adviser to Review Teacher Education and Development Policy & Implementation Plan S29/19
Purpose of the Assignment
The purposes of this assignment are as follows:
- To determine and revise the suitability of all areas within the current TEDP resulting in an updated, dynamic and forward-looking policy statement for all stakeholders within the Solomon Islands.
- To determine and revise the suitability of all areas within the current Teacher Education and Development Implementation Plan resulting in an updated, practical, dynamic and forward-looking plan for all stakeholders within the Solomon Islanders.
- To modernise teacher education and development programmes for all levels of teachers which will ensure improved and high teacher quality in the Solomon Islands.
- To strengthen professional competencies of all teachers across the education sector.
Finally, the final products are intendedto provide positive and future-oriented guidance as well as a sustainable model for supporting teachers in ongoing professional learning to improve the quality of teaching and learning in the Solomon Islands. It should also incorporate lessons learned and proven adaptive practices gained from recent and current training and models of delivery.
Scope of Work
- literature review of all evaluations, reports, policies, frameworks, and guidelines related to the TEDP and Implementation Plan (inclusive of most recent draft of Education Bill)
- Identify the range of policy users or implementers and their benefits to the reviewed Policy and Implementation Plan
- Ensure the reviewed Policy and Implementation Plan align with NEAP (2016-20) and ESF (2016-30) of the MEHRD
- Hold consultation with key stakeholders: MEHRD, EAs, SOEH-SINU, USP (SI campus), Goroka (SI campus), Solomon Islands Schools and relevant others
- Draft Revised Policy, Implementation Plan and Communication statements
Estimated period: 90 days
MEHRD’s main office Tongs Building in Point Cruz, Honiara, Solomon Islands.
Qualification and Experience
1. Minimum of a degree in education or field related to this area of work
2. Excellent English language communication skills; written and oral
3. Knowledge and experience of contemporary best practices in Professional Learning and Development
4. Experience in undertaking policy review
5. Understanding of the link between teacher capability, self-assessment and planning for future PD
6. Excellent interpersonal skills and experience in group facilitation
7. Proven ability to provide guidance to a taskforce or committee
8. An ethical approach and ability to always uphold code of conduct
9. Proven experience working with local, provincial, national and international organisations
10. Ability to analyse and synthesise relevant information to the benefit of MEHRD
11. Organised and responsible
12. Ability to meet deadlines
13. Demonstrates Initiative and resourcefulness
1. Experience in the Solomon Islands Education system or a similar setting
2. Higher qualification or equivalent experience
3. Fluency in Solomon Islands Pijin language
A consultant will be selected in accordance with the procedures set out in the Solomon Islands Government Procurement Manual and Financial Instructions.
The Terms of Reference and Request for Proposal can be collected at the Procurement and Contract Management Office, Level 3 Tongs Building, Point Cruz or by contacting Joseph Samani Jnr via email JSamani@mehrd.gov.sb
Proposals must be delivered to the email address: JSamani@mehrd.gov.sbor to the address below by 14:00 on 31STof October 2019.
The Permanent Secretary