Job No: 104354
- Bring your legal experience in fisheries to provide high-level legal advice to an intergovernmental fisheries organisation in the Pacific region
- Dynamic and exciting scope of work - no two days will be the same!
- Excellent salary package (tax-free, for citizens for most countries!), including COLDA and Location Allowance PLUS a host of other benefits!
- Applications close Monday 5th November at 5pm AEST
About the Organisation
The Pacific Islands Forum Fisheries Agency (FFA) is an intergovernmental organisation working to strengthen national capacity and regional solidarity so Pacific nations can manage, control, and develop their tuna fisheries now and in the future.
Based in Honiara, Solomon Islands, FFA's 17 member nations are Australia, Cook Islands, Federated States of Micronesia, Fiji, Kiribati, Marshall Islands, Nauru, New Zealand, Niue, Palau, Papua New Guinea, Samoa, Solomon Islands, Tokelau, Tonga, Tuvalu and Vanuatu.
FFA was established to help countries sustainably manage the fishery resources within their Exclusive Economic Zones (EEZs). FFA is an advisory body providing expertise, technical assistance and other support to its members who make sovereign decisions about their tuna resources and participate in regional decision making on tuna management through bodies such as the Parties to the Nauru Agreement (PNA) and the Western and Central Pacific Fisheries Commission (WCPFC).
Since 1979, FFA has facilitated regional cooperation so that all Pacific countries benefit from the sustainable use of tuna – worth over USD $3 billion a year, and important for many people’s livelihoods in the Pacific.
For more information about The Pacific Islands Forum Fisheries Agency please visit their website here.
About the Opportunity
FFA is now looking for a full-time Legal Adviser to join their High Legal Advice team in Honiara, in the Solomon Islands. This is a 3-year contract role, with possible renewal for a further 3 years subject to performance appraisal and availability of funding.
Reporting to the Legal Counsel, this position provides legal advice on all aspects of FFA's work program and has specific responsibility for the implementation of the legal frameworks and international law subprogram.
This subprogram is in charge of the provision of the general legal advice to the Secretariat and specific legal advice to the Secretariat and FFA Member Countries on all legal matters, including international fisheries law and national fisheries legislation.
Some of your key responsibilities will include (but not be limited to):
- Advising and assisting Member countries on periodic review of fisheries and related legislation with a view to regional harmonization of fisheries regimes;
- Advising member governments on legal, policy and management issues arising from the exploitation of fisheries resources in the region;
- Researching into and developing legal frameworks for alternative fisheries management models that would enhance management of the region’s tuna resource;
- Assisting member countries in the development of model management and legal frameworks to facilitate the sustainable harvesting of the regions tuna resource, maximize economic returns from the fishery and ensure member countries international, regional and subregional obligations are met; and
- Providing legal advice to the Secretariat on all matters necessary for the effective implementation of its roles and functions.
Please note: The ability to travel regularly throughout the region is a mandatory requirement of this position.
To view the full position description please see attached document
To be considered for this position you will hold a minimum of a Bachelor of Laws degree and at least five years' experience in a government or multi-disciplinary environment relevant to fisheries management and development, preferably tuna.
In addition, you will have demonstrated experience in drafting fisheries legislation and regulations and a proven working knowledge of international fisheries law.
FFA is looking for a collaborative and passionate team player, with a genuine desire to provide high-quality legal advice to members and stakeholders within the organisation. You will have excellent interpersonal, verbal and written communication skills, the ability to multi-task within tight timeframes and have values that align with the social, economic and political aspirations of the Pacific Islands region.
About the Benefits
If you are looking to make the ultimate sea change and find out more about life on the edge of Pacific development, this is the opportunity for you!
You’ll be offered a competitive, tax-free remuneration package (for citizens of most countries), commensurate with your skills and experience.
You will also have superannuation paid at 7.5% into either a nominated fund or as an additional cash supplement. FFA reimburses all reasonable medical, dental, and optical expenses for yourself and dependants. Insurance coverage is also provided for personal accident, life, medical & repatriation.
Education for dependent children will be reimbursed at 75% of tuition fees (Conditions apply). If your dependent child is educated overseas, paid school travel may be available for you or your child to visit each other once a year.
Accommodation assistance is also available.
Additionally, relocation expenses will be paid, with an establishment grant paid on arrival in Honiara. Annual airfares back to the country of repatriation will be provided, and a repatriation allowance of 2 weeks’ base salary on return to home-base at the end of the contract. There is also a retention incentive of 21% of your base salary which will be paid on the completion of your contract.
On top of all this, you will have access to 6 weeks of annual leave each year, giving you plenty of time to explore this stunning part of the world!
To apply for this role, please complete the questions below and attach your resume.
Applications close Monday 5th November at 5pm AEST.
This is a fantastic opportunity to be directly engaged at the cutting edge of intergovernmental fisheries management policy-making and implementation - Apply Now!
Please apply online here http://piffa.applynow.net.au/jobs/104354-legal-adviser