Personal Services Contractor (PSC) vacancy announcement
OPEN TO: All Interested Candidates
POSITION: Peace Corps Medical Officer
OPENING DATE: 24-Mar-2017
CLOSING DATE: Continuous until filled (first review cutoff 14-Apr-2017)
WORK HOURS: 40 hours/week
The United States Peace Corps seeks a Medical Doctor or Nurse Practitioner to serve as a contracted Peace Corps Medical Officer (PCMO) based in Port Vila Vanuatu.
The PCMO will provide health care to U.S. Peace Corps Volunteers in Vanuatu and will work under the supervision of the Peace Corps Country Director in Vanuatu and the Peace Corps Office of Medical Services in Washington DC.
- Routine primary health care to Peace Corps Trainees and Volunteers including treatment of common illnesses and injuries in accordance with Peace Corps medical guidelines
- Comprehensive volunteer reproductive choice including contraception and cessation care
- Individual short-term counseling on disease prevention, adjustment issues, stress management and cross-cultural problems
- Response to emergency medical situations
- Member of Senior Peace Corps staff in (Vanuatu)
- Ability to conduct trainings on health related issues
- Site visits to Peace Corps Volunteers throughout (Vanuatu)
- Administrative tasks of the medical office including budget management
- Inventory of medical supplies and equipment
- Alternate 24 hour on- call duty with the other PCMO
Qualifications and Requirements:
- Graduate of accredited school
- MDs must be a graduate of a school listed in this link, Foundation for Advancement of International Medical Education and Research http://www.faimer.org/resources/imed.html
- MD, Nurse Practitioner (NP), or Registered Nurse (RN) candidates must have a current license to practice.RN candidates must either be licensed in Vanuatu or hold an RN license to practice under general standing orders
- Relevant clinical experience in primary care
- Ability to communicate effectively in oral /written English.
- Experience in managing mental health issues including counseling of patients
- Experience in training design and presentation of health related material
- Working knowledge of Microsoft Word, Excel, Access, Outlook
- Program management, administrative experience
- Ability to work effectively as part of an intercultural team
- Hardworking, reliable and diligent with good inter-personal skills
- Willing to travel to sites in (Vanuatu)
- Ability to work with minimal supervision
- Must be able to obtain an American visa
Interested applicants for this position must submit the following or the application will not be considered:
- A completed PCMO Application form (available upon request), a completed PCMO applicant skills survey, a completed Privileging form.The applicant must complete this request for privileges depending on their professional qualifications.
- A resume or C.V. that includes:
- Professional positions held, identifying duties, responsibilities, dates of employment and reason for leaving
- Education and training, identifying universities attended, dates of attendance, degrees and diplomas.
- Professional licenses, certificates, registrations
- An accounting for periods of unemployment longer than three months
- Three professional medical references, with at least two being from medical colleagues who have directly observed the applicant in a clinical setting.(One must also be from the current employer.)
- Photocopies of:
- Academic diplomas. Pease note, in addition to a copy of the academic diploma, the applicant must submit an official academic transcript and curriculum.
- Professional licenses. If the license does not have an expiration date, written confirmation must be submitted directly from the issuing authority.
Please note, if a license is not required, rather, the medical diploma is the license to practice, written confirmation, issued directly from the professional medical board, Ministry of Health or other appropriate regulatory authority establishing that the candidate is properly credentialed for medical practice, is required.
- Certificates of all post graduate training, internships, residencies, fellowships
- Professional registrations
- A cover letter
- Any other documentation (e.g., essays, certificates, awards, copies of degrees earned) that addresses the qualification requirements of the position as listed above.
- The candidate should also provide the following:
- Date of birth
- Place of birth
- Passport number
- Passport issue date
- Passport expiration date
All documents must be in English. Official translation is not required.